Re: wrong resolution with ATI and open source drivers

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:12:01 -0500 (EST), George Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:41:53 -0500 (EST), George Sullivan wrote:
>>> [I] Suppose the relevant part of the log file is:
>>>
>>> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:05:0
>>> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
>>> (EE) No devices detected.
>>
>> Please provide your complete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and your
>> complete /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.
>

> Here my xorg.conf:

Please reply only to the list, not to any individual, including me.

> ############################
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "kbd"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "en"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Driver          "radeon"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>

> and the Xorg log file:
> ###########################

> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

It's complaining about a missing "Device" record in the Screen section.
The primary purpose of the Screen section is to join a Monitor section
and a Device section in Holy Matrimony.  You've got a bride defined here
(the Monitor record) but no groom (missing Device record).  At a minimum,
you need to define the groom.  Add a record such as

   Device     "Configured Video Device"

after the Identifier record and before the Monitor record.  There may be
other things you need to do, but let's start there.