Re: Two Lenny problems

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 01:51:06 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:
> Just finished installing Lenny on my Fujitsu which has on-board sound;
> alsamixer says: PCM (100), Surround (MM), Center (MM), LFE (MM), Side
> (MM), IEC958 (MM), IEC958D (00), PC Speak (100); Sound Preferences, in
> the Sound Capture section, has a test sound choice which produced a
> tone!; I opened up Epiphany to YouTube, made a selection and it played!
> Sound works!!

Great!  Now you can do the rest of the "GNOME sound configuration",
as documented on my web site, to get the system sounds, software
sound mixing in ALSA, etc, as needed.  If there is a "CD" column
in alsamixer too, you can also install cdtool and see if you can get
analog CD playing to work as well.  It is superior, in my opinion,
to the "ripping" method used by most newer media players, unless you
actually want to extract a portion of the audio data and put it in
a .wav file.  If you just want to listen to an audio CD, the cdtool
package, or some other analog CD player, is the way to go.

When you insert an audio CD, it will probably cause the "Sound
Juicer" of GNOME to open automatically.  Just close the app
and then issue cdplay from a terminal window.

> The lack of a PCM on the Dell seems to be the critical
> error, as you said.

As I said, I've never seen alsamixer without a PCM column.
That set off alarm bells.

> The lspci output has the audio controller as an
> Intel 82801FB and a multimedia controller as Phillips SAA7134/SAA7135HL
> Video Broadcast Decoder.  My brother will get another sound card soon
> and I will try the Dell again just to see what difference it makes.  And
> Epiphany didn't hang when directed to hp.com or debian.org.

That may be an important clue.  There may be a hardware problem here.
Just out of curiousity, remove the old sound card from the Dell and
try Epiphany again.  I'm wondering about a hardware conflict, such
as a conflicting I/O port, IRQ line, DMA channel, etc. between the installed
sound card and the on-board sound chip.  Or maybe between the installed
sound card and the built-in (I'm guessing) ethernet interface chip.

I still can't believe that a motherboard manufacturer would build sound
into the board and then provide no way to access it!