Re: tcp/ip traffic shaping in Debian

On 03.03.2010 15:29, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have several PC:s in my LAN, and a Debian Lenny as a router/firewall
> on the edge of it.
>
> Does Lenny has tools for traffic shaping. I have one machine here
> downloading lots of binaries from Giganews, and I might be tempted to
> limit that traffic somehow.
>
> I installed tcng after googling something, but the examples I found did
> not compile.
>
> Any good tutorials or pointers for a Debian user with tcng/tc or other
> tools?

eris:~# aptitude show wondershaper
Package: wondershaper
State: not installed
Version: 1.1a-4.1
 An easy to use traffic shaping script that provides these improvements:
 * Low latency for interactive traffic (and pings) at all times
 * Allow websurfing at reasonable speeds while uploading / downloading
 * Make sure uploads don't hurt downloads
 * Make sure downloads don't hurt uploads

 It does this by:
 * Limiting upload speed slightly, to eliminate queues
 * Limiting download speed, while allowing bursts, to eliminate queues
 * Interactive traffic skips the queue
 * ACKs and tiny packets skip the queue

 Configuring the wondershaper requires you to accurately and precisely
determine your consistent upload and download speeds.

 The wondershaper is the simplest, easiest to use, entry level, traffic
shaping script provided by Debian.

 After installing this package, read highly the detailed instructions:
/usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.Debian

Best regards

Mart