Re: ACPI problem on linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 powering off

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:37:28 -0500 (EST), campbell mcleay wrote:

> I am running 64-bit Debian Squeeze with kernel
> linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-vserver-amd64, and when
> I initiate a shutdown to halt/poweroff the system, either within a
> Gnome session or on the console,
> it reboots instead of powering off. I can see what looks like a kernel
> oops error message at the
> very end of the shutdown process, and then it reboots (it is too quick
> for me to see the exact error).
> My suspicion was that ACPI was the issue, so I disabled it at boot
> with 'acpi=off', and indeed it no longer
> reboots when I issue shutdown to halt it, but I lose hyperthreading
> and it won't power off at all.

OK, first of all, there's obviously a bug somewhere.
But the machine not powering off is no big deal.  Once it halts you
simply turn it off.  But losing hyperthreading is obviously not good.

> I have
> used Ubuntu 9.04 and 10.04 (which uses 2.6.32 kernel) to test the
> hardware as well, and these shut
> the machine down with no issue. I would use another linux-image
> package, but there seems to be only
> one for Squeeze (aside from a vserver image).
>
> Any suggestions on a way round this? I don't want to boot with
> 'acpi=off', as it won't shutdown and
> hyperthreading won't work.

Well, you could try using APM instead of ACPI, if your BIOS supports it.
That might get you an automated power-off.  But probably not
hyperthreading.  Probably not worth it.

But there are newer kernels in Sid that you can try, such as
linux-image-2.6.32-2-vserver-amd64 and linux-image-2.6.32-3-vserver-amd64.