Re: KDE session dead

Jason Filippou <jason.filippou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,

> After updating my debian  squeeze box yesterday I'm having trouble
> logging into my KDE session. More specifically, after I choose "KDE"
> from the available sessions from kdm,  the kde splash screen begins
> screen, with which I can't interact, since it's all, like, black. The
> "logged in" music tune plays just fine though, which makes me feel
> there's something wrong with a KDE update as far as the desktop
> display's concerned. I had KDE effects turned on, if that's helping
> towards the right direction.

> Currently posting from a GNOME session. Anyboy with a problem similar
> to mine after recent upgrades? Anything I can do to revive my KDE
> session?

I see the same effect after a recent upgrade. I have spent some time
debugging the problem and was able to identify the culprit:

~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

If I remove the file I can log in normally. Unfortunately, the problem is back
once kde recreates the file. So I have to delete the file again before the next
login. So far I was unable to nail down exactly what the problem is or how to
permanently fix it.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl f. Genomorientierte Bioinformatik