IMAP timing issue

I'm not sure what to do about this, maybe I am doing something wrong..
I setup my wifes account as IMAP so she could read her email from home(Kmail)
& work (using web mail). The problem is, at home, on our debian box, she runs
Kmail. When she clicks on the inbox it takes forever to bring in all the
messages, and if she clicks on another folder NOT in her inbox, next time she
goes back, it starts over again with zero messages, retrieves them all, and
it takes forever. Part of the problem is people that send monster ( OUTLOOK)
messages with megabyte attachments..
What can I do? I'm not that familiar with IMAP, would disconnected IMAP be
better? filtering all email larger than 1Mb to her local inbox?
other ideas?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800