Re: Two Lenny problems

Stephen,
In that case, are you sure I can't talk you into trying a newer kernel from backports? Granted, your sound card is old enough to be supported by the 2.6.26 kernel that is standard with Lenny, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a bug somewhere. I've seen a couple of other "no sound" threads since you opened yours. Maybe a security update broke something, who knows? Anyway, if you try a new kernel and it doesn't work for you, it's easy
enough to switch back.
Sure, you can talk me into it, if you will also talk me through it. It is another procedure that is completely new to me.

Or you can try installing Linux on one of those other machines, with or without wiping Windows.
I found out that another machine does have SATA controllers, so it would be the obvious choice for just swapping the HD out of the Dimension 8400. Does that make sense?

Or you can break down, crack that wallet open, and buy a sound card, not knowing if it will work either. If you buy one, buy an old one that isn't driven by the driver that doesn't work for your sound card or the blacklisted one.
Already found someone who has a bedroom full of salvaged computer parts. My brother will see if he has one or two sound cards.