Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)

On 02/27/2010 11:18 PM, thib wrote:
Hello,

Usually I never ask myself whether I should organize my disks into separate
filesystems or not.  I just think "how?" and I go with a cool layout without
thinking back - LVM lets us correct them easily anyway.  I should even say
that I believed a single root filesystem on a system was "a first sign" (you
know what I mean ;-).

But now I'm about to try a new setup for a Squeeze/Sid *workstation*, and I
somehow feel I could be a little more open-minded.  I'd like some input on
what I covered, and more importantly, on what I may have missed.  Maybe
someone can point me to some actually useful lists of advantages to
"partitioning"?  I find a lot of BS around the net, people often miss the
purpose of it.

So, what are the advantages I see, and why don't they matter to me anymore?
> [snip]

I only split /home and /usr/local so that I could reinstall wiping the whole system but keeping my data. And, if necessary for boot purposes, /boot . Everything else goes into / .

--
Small is beautiful.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br