Re: Two Lenny problems

Stephen,
I was going to suggest trying a different sound card on your existing
system.  But it's your call.

That is a good idea. I'll look to see what I have. Am I right to assume that the installation will have to be repeated in order to get the sound card recognized and configured?

You know, it could just be that something went wrong with the original
installation.  Remember, you had hangs in epiphany-browser and iceweasel.
I've never seen that before.

Yeah, but Opera has had delays, but not nearly as long as Epiphany or Iceweasel, so it is hard to tell what the problem may be. And every time I change the "To" from your address to the debian-user address, I get multiple syntax errors from Opera (for that message and every one sent or received afterwards) which I never got before; and I have never succeeded in downloading YouTube videos here that were no problem in Pennsylvania, so it is possible that the internet connection has something to do with it.

Most Windows installations I've seen have one big "C" drive which
takes up the whole hard disk, leaving no room for installing anything
else.

It has been years and years since I last had one, big "C" drive for a Windows installation. Mainly due to virus considerations. For about the last ten years or so my usual protocol is to divide the disk into at least three partitions (OS, Swap/Temp, Programs), but usually at least five partitions. I have been able to clear trojan virus problems by deleting the OS partition only (which saves all my personal info and driver files), and the separate Swap/Temp partition eliminates a lot of the fragmentation of the "C" drive. The multiple partitions of Debian is one of the features that first attracted me to the OS. Oh! and multiple partitions makes disk maintenance so much easier.

That is strange.  It makes me wonder if you made a mistake during
installation.  But I guess we'll never know.

I made copious notes for every Debian installation that was done. Even to the point of recording the screen prompts and my responses on a separate laptop. And I followed my notes scrupulously during the re-installation. And it was done more than once, believe me. But each installation failed to give a suitable screen to the X server, even though I gave the same H-Freq, V-Freq, resolution, monitor data, etc. And I tried several edits of the X-server configuration file, even copying from the config file that is created by the X-server test command.

In that case, you might want to try buying a computer with Debian
pre-installed.  See http://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed.
This list is probably not exhaustive or up-to-date but will give
you a good start.

I have looked several times at ready-to-use Debian systems but I have never had money to spare for computers and I still don't. The only reason I ever got into them in the first place is because my brother, as a professional engineer, wanted a 386 machine to run AutoCAD instead of his 8088, so I bought the 8088 from him as a favor. I did pay $20 for a Mac G4 once, but that is it. All the rest have been hand-me-downs or salvaged.