Re: debian/testing systems stopped to boot after upgrade between 20.02 and 22.02

On 2010-02-23, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --------------enig8A6162A10A29BD9D157868EB
>
> Charlie schreef:
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:48:31 +0100 wzab <wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl> shared
>> this with us all:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have two different debian/testing systems. The common feature is the=
>
>>> Intel graphics chipset.
>>> Both of them stopped to boot after upgrade which I performed between
>>> 20.02 and 22.02 (the last successful boot log is from the 20.02).
>>> After this time the screen gets black during boot and machine doesn't
>>> respond any more.
>>>
>>> What's interesting - on one machine the 2.6.32 kernel boots correctly,=
>
>>> but the 2.6.32.8 doesn't (I attach configuration of both kernels)
>>>
>>> It seems, that the problem may be associated with the changes to xorg
>>> server?
> No, else it would not be blank during boot
> >
>> My problem, or what I thought was a problem, as well. I have posted
>> about it here but I think this may be the new way that Debian wants
>> users to get to the login prompt?
>>=20
>> The screen remains blank, but the machine is actually working, and
>> though you can see nothing it will take you to the login prompt. Just
>> watch the flickering light on the computer, when it stops I do this:
>>=20
>> * type in the user name - then password, waiting a moment between
>>   because I often type it too quickly before the login has registered
>>   the user name and switched to password
>> * then type in startx
>> * You'll see your whole screen go from completely black without anythin=
>>   to a shade of dark grey without anything, and then, in my case at
>>   least, my ~/.xsession script cuts in, and xstarts
> This sound like a wrong video mode for the console. Disable all splash=20
> screens, and remove lines like "vga=3Dxxx", "vesafb=3Dxxx" from the kerne=
> l=20
> options and modesetting lines from /etc/default/grub.conf, then rebuild=20
> and reinstall grub. This should give you a plain 80x25 character=20
> console. When this works you can try to enable the higher resolution=20
> video modes again.
When I remove vga=773 from the /etc/default/grub, and then update-grub,
the problem is gone.
But after I restart the system, the console is the same as before(vga=773,
128x48), not a plain 80x25 characters.
So, surely the system supports this vga=773 resolution mode, I don't know
why it will cause a problem when I add vga=773 to the grub option.

Jeffrey