Re: Two Lenny problems

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 01:17:09 -0800, Cecil Knutson wrote:
> Florian,
> 	Sorry it took so long for me to realize I did not respond to your
> last email.

No problem, I was pretty busy with work anyway. You have covered a lot
of ground with Stephen Powell in the meantime, and I do not have too
many things to add to that. I never had a soundblaster card myself; all
I post here is based on general ALSA knowledge and educated guesses.

>              Here are the outputs of amixer and aplay.
> dimension8400:/home/cecil# amixer

[ output edited ]

> Simple mixer control 'Line in',0
> Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
> Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Center/LFE',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Front',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Rear',0
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Unknown',0
> Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
> Simple mixer control 'Analog Center/LFE',0
> Simple mixer control 'Analog Front',0
> Simple mixer control 'Analog Rear',0
> Simple mixer control 'Analog Side',0
> Simple mixer control 'Analog Source',0
>   Capabilities: cenum
>   Items: 'Phone' 'Mic' 'Line in' 'Aux'
>   Item0: 'Line in'
> Simple mixer control 'CAPTURE feedback',0
> Simple mixer control 'Digital Source',0
>   Capabilities: cenum
>   Items: 'IEC958 out' 'i2s mixer out' 'IEC958 in' 'i2s in' 'AC97 in'
> 'SRC out'
>   Item0: 'i2s in'
> Simple mixer control 'Shared Mic/Line in',0
>   Capabilities: cenum
>   Items: 'Line in' 'Mic in'
>   Item0: 'Line in'

I googled around a bit and I have seen reports that do not show a PCM
channel in asound.state for another soundblaster card (scroll to the
bottom of the page):

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/alsa-not-working-for-creative-sound-blaster-live-24-bit-sound-card-355129/

There is a relatively recent ubuntu bug report about snd-ca0106:

My problem is that I do not know what "Analog Source", "Digital Source"
and "Shared Mic/Line in" are supposed to do. You could try different
settings with these controls and also to turn turn down or mute all the
IEC958 controls (if you have not done this already.) I would also try to
turn "CAPTURE feedback" down. ALSA controls can have somewhat counter-
intuitive effects and interactions at times, so one has to test many
combinations of settings.

Apart from that I can only echo what Stephen and Andrei have suggested:
Try a newer version of ALSA with a back-ported kernel or by checking
with Squeeze. It might be helpful to know if the most recent Knoppix
live CD can get the sound going.

The other thing you can do is search for message related to the sound
module, by running

  dmesg | grep -Ei 'ca0106|ac97'

right after you have booted the system.

--