Re: wireless from the command line

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:42:12AM -0500, Tom H wrote:
> > I've had a good look around and still can't work this one out. Does
> > anyone know how to configure wifi from the command line? I'm currently
> > using wicd, so all my hardware is supported, however, as I rarely start
> > X I would prefer to manage wifi connections through the cli.
>
> > I believe I have to use wpasupplicant. Can someone point me to a howto
> > that gives me a few examples of the wpasupplicant config and interfacing
> > it with /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> > I would like my setup to automatically connect to open networks. It
> > should connect to the one with the strongest signal. If that fails then
> > it should connect to any wpa networks if they are in range. I would like
> > some examples, so I can learn how to tweak the config quickly.
>

> For WPA2, I use these /e/n/i settings
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wpa-driver wext
> wpa-ssid <ssid>
> wpa-psk <key>
>
> You can add these but I don't
> wpa-ap-scan [1¦2]
> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
> wpa-proto RSN
> wpa-pairwise CCMP
> wpa-group CCMP

I use wpasupplicant through /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
there are examples in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/

the key thing here is to tag a network definition with an id_str which
is used in /e/n/i

I think the one you are after is
/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa-roam.conf

--
"I also have picked a secretary for Housing and Human Development. Mel Martinez from the state of Florida."

	- George W. Bush
12/20/2000
Washington, DC