Re: Debian compatibility with US Robotics USR5637 external USB modem

On 2/25/2010 11:09 PM, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:
Hi there --

I'm getting ready to assemble a computer, and intend to use Debian Linux
as the OS.  In addition to everything else I want to have a 56k modem
for the computer -- partially as an emergency backup for the network,
but mainly so that I can run a fax and answering machine app on the
computer and get rid of my extremely low-quality answering machine.

 From what I've seen out there, the US Robotics USR5637 looks like a
promising option:  it's a small (almost tiny) external modem which
connects via USB, and purports to have Linux support.  My question:  has
anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this component on a Debian
system?

Thanks in advance,
-PT

I have used external USB modems. Mine Just Worked. I can't answer to your specific model. I seem to recall that Linux regarded the modem as a USB serial port, and pointing kppp or whatever at it worked with almost no fuss and bother. YMMV.

I also used an internal, yes, internal, modem of a US Robotics variety. Sorry the model number escapes me. The thing is, it is a true hardware modem, and no firmware binaries are needed as are with WinModems. Again, Linux regarded the thing as a serial device.

I would like to suggest another option. A router that can accept 3G cellular internet air cards. I use a Cradlepoint router and a Pantech USB modem UM175. Works astonishingly well, and you don't have to teach Debian anything. You just need a web browser with javascript. Iceweasel/Firefox, Epiphany, Konquerer, and Google Chrome all work.

Mark Allums