[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Name Resolution Issue from Browser only, on Debian 5.0.4



On Wed, February 24, 2010 1:59:48 PM +0530, Camaleón wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:58:07 -0800, Hemanth M. C. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, February 23, 2010 21:30:51 +0530, Camaleón wrote:
>> 
>> 
>>>Does this help?
>>>
>>>WGET can’t resolve host
>>>http://serverfault.com/questions/76421/wget-cant-resolve-host
>> 
>> The solution mentioned in the link does not work for me, since my
>> installation is a new installation - I did not touch the nsswitch.conf
>> file. However, the answer seems to lie somewhere there. I played around
>> with the nsswitch.conf file, but was unable to make it resolve
>> correctly. This is the file:
>
>> <snip>
>
>As you are using the router's DNS facility, is up to the device 
>performing such operation. Another thing you can try is by using your 
>ISP's own DNS servers, instead the router's ones and see if you get 
>different results.

Ok - I tried this out (hardcoding the DNS to the ISP's DNS), and this worked. I'm still puzzled about why 'ping' and 'ftp' worked, but not 'wget', 'getent hosts', 'telnet' (as per Sjoerd's suggestion) or the other browsers. Also, Knoppix & Windows would work with the router's DNS. Anyway, now that it is working, I will leave the debugging for a day when I have more time on my hands.

Thank you Camaleón, Celejar & Sjoerd, for helping me out.

Regards,
Hemanth


  


Reply to: