Re: Two Lenny problems

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:32:31 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:

> Stephen,  This is the second time I have replied, but I don't see the
> reply on the list, so here it goes again.

This is the first reply I have received.  The first one must have gotten
lost in the internet somewhere.  I was beginning to wonder what happened.

> "Local" is in the /etc/modprobe.d directory; it has the right contents;
> modprobe.conf does not exist; the "cat" command does show the contents of
> the file, but I don't see anything that shows if it is plain text or not.

If it looks normal, in the output of "cat", it's plain text.

> Here is a section out of the output of "lsmod" pertaining to loaded sound
> modules:
>
> snd_ca0106             27584  3
> snd_ac97_codec         88452  1 snd_ca0106
> snd_pcm_oss            32800  0
> snd_mixer_oss          12320  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                62660  4 snd_ca0106,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_dummy           2660  0
> snd_seq_oss            24992  0
> snd_seq_midi            5728  0
> snd_rawmidi            18496  2 snd_ca0106,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event      6432  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                41456  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
>
> I didn't see anything about snd_intel8x0 anywhere in the output.

Good.  That means that the blacklist is working or the chip is on the
removed card.

> Here is the output of dmesg:
>
> ... (content eliminated for brevity's sake)

I don't see anything obviously wrong at first glance.  I'll take a closer
look and reply if I see a problem.

> Here is the output of dpkg-query:
>  alsa-base  1.0.17.dfsg-4   ALSA driver configuration files.
>
> Looks like the alsa utils is not installed.

That's a problem.  We need that.  Install cdtool as well.

> The Intel audio controller is still listed along with the Creative Labs
> audio controller in the "lspci" output: Intel Corp. 82801FR (ICH6 Family)
> AC'97 Audio Controller.

That tells us two things: (1) the chip is not on the internal modem
card that you removed, and (2) the blacklist is working.  That makes
me wonder though.  Is the sound chip on the motherboard?  Is there any
evidence that the manufacturer intended it to be the sound chip for
the system?  Are there audio jacks on the back of the system for
speakers, microphone, line-in, line-out, etc. that are *not* on the
edge connector of your sound card?  Did you install the Sound Blaster
Live card as an after-market add-on?  Or did it come with the machine?