Re: Name Resolution Issue from Browser only, on Debian 5.0.4

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:58:07 -0800, Hemanth M. C. wrote:

> On Tue, February 23, 2010 21:30:51 +0530, Camaleón wrote:
>

>>Does this help?
>>
>>WGET can’t resolve host
>>http://serverfault.com/questions/76421/wget-cant-resolve-host
>
> The solution mentioned in the link does not work for me, since my
> installation is a new installation - I did not touch the nsswitch.conf
> file. However, the answer seems to lie somewhere there. I played around
> with the nsswitch.conf file, but was unable to make it resolve
> correctly. This is the file:

(...)

> # /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
> I learnt a lot about this file from the man pages, but was unable to
> figure out what mdns4 and mdns4_minimal are. I will try to play around
> with this for some more time, but would appreciate any input on this
> issue from anybody.

In fact, it seems those values are the cause of some resolution slowness:

***
mdns listed in nsswitch.conf causes excessive time for dns lookups
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avahi/+bug/94940
***

You can try the suggested steps, just to check if the situation improves.

(...)

> In short, pinging a certain destination helps the getent and wget
> commands resolve the name correctly. Why is this so? Are the DNS lookups
> cached somewhere? Does this cache have to be cleared?

As you are using the router's DNS facility, is up to the device
performing such operation. Another thing you can try is by using your
ISP's own DNS servers, instead the router's ones and see if you get
different results.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón