Re: Name Resolution Issue from Browser only, on Debian 5.0.4

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:58:07 -0800 (PST)
"Hemanth M. C." <mchemanth@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In short, pinging a certain destination helps the getent and wget commands resolve the name correctly. Why is this so? Are the DNS lookups cached somewhere? Does this cache have to be cleared?

I don't know the solution to your overall problem, but IIUC, DNS
results are not cached by a basic linux system, unless you're running a
caching DNS application, such as dnsmasq.  To see if caching is
happening, one runs 'dig some_site' twice in a row.  If caching is
happening, the second "Query time:" should be 0, while the first will
be some number of milliseconds (unless, of course, the domain is already
in the cache).  Without caching, all queries should have a non-zero
query time.  Of course, there could be caching taking place somewhere
upstream of your box.

Celejar