New kernel / stable Debian fails to detect USB printers

I still cannot normally operate any USB printer connected to my system after I upgraded to stable Lenny with the stock 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel.

It's clear now after more testing that this problem described below is not ehci_hcd specific as I can get the "module reload" workaround kludge to work with any of the three USB modules.

What I'd like to know is if there's anything else I can do to get this to work properly. This problem only happened after upgrading to the latest "stable" Debian.

Right now if I ever want to print I have to unload ehci_hcd (or uhci_hcd or ohci_hcd) and then reload it after the printer is on. Otherwise they do not see my printer when it's turned on. Do I need to have some other module loaded for autodetection to take place? Does this have to do with udev or hotswap? I'm stumped and could use some help.

I'd also like to know if this is a bug or if I just did something wrong. And is there a better place to ask this question then debian-user or am I at the right place? I appreciate any help or guidance since I am not a technology oriented person.

Thanks,

Jen