Re: Air compressors vs. canned air

* On 2010 17 Feb 08:25 -0600, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:09:17 -0500 (EST), John Hasler wrote:
> > Chris Jones writes:
> >> What seems to be happening is that I am a rather 'energetic' typist,
> >> and those keyboards were never designed to cope with intensive typing
> >> in the first place.
> >
> > Then you need an IBM Model M.  You won't wear it out.
>
> I second that motion!  I have two of them.  I wish I had more.
> They are the best keyboards ever made, in my humble opinion.  (Or at least
> the best keyboards I personally have ever used.)  Unfortunately, IBM has
> not made this keyboard, or any keyboard, for that matter, in years.  But
> I heard on the news about a year ago that some company was making a clone
> of these keyboards, using IBM's old factory, if I'm not mistaken, for
> high-end typing power users.  The electronics have been updated for a USB
> interface instead of the original PS/2 interface.  But the key action is
> identical.  They aren't cheap!  But if your computer can handle
> a traditional PS/2 keyboard connection, and if you are lucky enough to
> find one of the original ones used, you might get it for a reasonable price.

I use a Belkin PS/2 to USB adapter here at work to use my Model M with
a Dell E6400 and port replicator.  Works like a hose.  25 years old and
still going strong.

I picked up several at a hamfest years back and I saved every one that
came out of service here at work and have them stashed away.  In my
estimation they are indestructable.  I've dumped water in one in the
past, drained it out, swapped in a working keyboard and set the soaked
one aside to dry.  When I did it again, I swapped them and the former
one had dried out and worked perfectly.  I won't use anything else if I
can help it.  Laptops excepted.

- Nate >>