Re: Intel Atom Processor

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:34:09 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?
>> It depends on the exact model.
>> There are some Atom micros supporting 64 bits (amd64) but the vast
>> majority don't (just 32 bits, so i386 is required), so better check
>> first the serial number.
>
> Don't bother checking: since you had to ask the question,

Not "me" :-)

> you won't care
> whether you run a 64bit or 32bit kernel, and since those processors
> don't support much more than 2GB anyway, there's no point running a
> 64bit kernel.

There are still reasons to install a 64 bits kernel if the micro supports
it. In fact, I have an Intel Celeron with just 1 GiB of RAM (max. allowed
is 2 GiB) and installed a 64 bits (amd64) Debian, just for compatibility
issues with the rest of the machines which are also running 64 bits
kernels :-)

> I.e. just use your regular 32bit Intel install (i386/x86/i686/IA32 or
> whichever name you like to use to refer to it).

In Debian is called "i386".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón