Re: portable Debian

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:47:44PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:36:23AM EST, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > - Some udev rules try to give unique and *stable* names to devices by
> >   simply remembering the names they used in the past.  On a system that
> >   you move around on many different machines, this can be a pain in the
> >   rear, since your only ethernet card may easily end up named eth7
> >   (because eth0-eth6 were already used for the cards on other machines).
> >   So you may want to "rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-*" in your
> >   /etc/rc.local.
>
> Good point. I've had this 'project' on the back burner for a while and I
> think it's time to take another look and finalize portability aspects.

I've found that deleting 75-persistent-net-generator.rules takes care of
the network devices.  70-persistent-net.rules still exists, but it never
gets any devices added to it.  Though you'll need to make sure you
delete any device lines that appeared in that file before
75-persistent-net-generator.rules was deleted.

-Rob