RE: Newer kernel then 2.6.26-2 fails to restart Intel i7 860 with P55 chipset.

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:53:27 -0600
> From: stan@hardwarefreak.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Newer kernel then 2.6.26-2 fails to restart Intel i7 860 with P55 chipset.
>
> Mike Viau put forth on 2/14/2010 11:14 AM:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone here was running a similar hardware setup? And what
> > experiences you have with compiling more recent kernels then Debian's 2.6.26-2.
>
> I'm running a much different hardware setup, but just in case some of the info
> might be useful...

Perhaps not useful, but very much appreciated, thanks.

> I'm running vanilla kernel.org 2.6.31.1 arch 686/i386 small mem smp with no
> problems. I use LILO, no initrd, all my drivers built into the kernel,
> netfilter, etc. It's a server, old 1994'ish Trident PCI VGA card text console
> only, 1999 era 2 socket Abit BP6 i440BX SMP mobo, Sil3512PCI sata card, Intel
> PIIX IDE for CD-ROM, PCI Intel Pro 100. Kernel installed the Debian way with dpkg.

Do you have any tips for creating custom (lean and mean) kernel .configs ? (Just out of curiosity)

Also did you mean you used the make-kpkg command to build the kernel deb?

I am aware that in more recent vanilla kernels there is a deb-pkg option in the Makefile to make linux-image debs.