Re: portable Debian

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:27:39AM EST, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> I have problems with that:

The attachment only contains personal notes and is not to be taken as a
formal HowTo or anything of that type. It was meant to answer your
question: 'is it possible' and hopefully provide general directions.

Not that I can confirm my USB stick 'portable debian' would work on a
wide range of systems. For a number of reasons I was not able to pursue
this much further than what is described in my notes, one of them being
that I did not have access to a target machine (or machines) and
discover possible/probable problems.

> "Well, I guess that since my pcmcia nic won't be there on the target
> system(s), I should remove the corresponding udev rule for instance. "

> So, what i understand is that i have to remove this rule in my 'external
> Debian' ?

No. This was only meant as an example of configuration aspects specific
to my regular system whose cloning might be useless or even harmful on
the 'portable' version.

As explained above, I have not been able to confirm that.

> and something i dont understand is the UUID stuff... (im not a pro
> configuring Debian - as you can see)

I don't recall anything about UUID's in my notes.

> I have to do all this changes in my 'external Debian'? - i guess is a
> stupid question but i feel i have to do it

A far more robust solution would probably be to use debian-live and
figure out how you can make it copy over everything that's specific to
your 'regular' system so that when you boot the debian-live system you
are presented with the spitting image of your regular system.

I understand this should be possible but is rather involved and requires
some scripting.

Where I had a problem with the debian-live approach, is that unless you
want to recreate your debian-live environment each time you leave home
in a rush, and have decided that you will not make any changes to the
clone that you will want to copy back to your 'regular system', you need
to find some way to synchronize the two incarnations of your system.

I didn't see much in debian-live that would help achieve that with
minimal effort, presumably because that's not its intended purpose.

But if you don't need a clone of your entire working environment but
rather only plan to demo a particular application, it sounds like a
generic debian-live system that includes the system components that you
need to support your application (libraries, daemons, etc.) on one
partition together with a /custom partition with everything you need to
run your application that you could mount manually after booting the
debian-live system would do the trick?

Come to think of it, you probably do not even need debian-live for that,
any generic live-CD should probably work just as well.

Thanks,

CJ