suspend/resume on IBM ThinkPad 600 running Lenny using APM (not ACPI)

I have an IBM ThinkPad 600 laptop which runs Debian Lenny.  For a number of
reasons, including getting the internal Mwave ACP modem to work, I have
to disable ACPI.  So I use the kernel boot parameter acpi=off and I load
the apm module via listing it in /etc/modules.  A file in /etc/modprobe.d
sets the options for the APM module.  Currently, all I have set is

   power_off=1

I run a stock Lenny kernel.  Up to this point, I have not even attempted
to implement suspend/resume.  But since this is a laptop, I suppose it's about
time to address this subject.  When I installed, I selected "Standard System"
and "Desktop System" in the tasksel menu, but I did not select any of the
laptop stuff.  In my experience, most of the laptop stuff relies on ACPI
and I knew I would have to run with ACPI disabled.  I run the standard
Lenny GNOME desktop environment.

There have been a number of threads recently
about suspend/resume; so I know there are some pretty knowledgeable users
out there.  So I thought that I would ask for a general consensus of which
direction I ought to go.  It will probably save me some time barking up the
wrong tree.  Just keep in mind that it is part of the problem definition
that I *must* run APM and I *cannot* run ACPI.  What should I do?  Where
should I look?  Any suggestions?

P.S. If you want details about my setup, it is documented in mind-numbing
detail at http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/tp600.htm.