Re: Debian installation on laptop with damaged screen

Stephen Powell wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:47:26 -0500 (EST), iodine@runbox.no wrote:
I get picture through the VGA port, but only after XP has
booted. I thought I'd install Debian, but of course the picture
defaults to the laptop's screen, and I cannot see enough
of the picture to progress with the installation.

I tried to see if I could set the default display through the
bios, but the screen is so damaged that that's not an option
either.

So, it seems I'm stuck with XP, unless someone has a clever
idea?

Well, it would help if you provided the make and model of laptop
that you have.  On many laptops, the default display can be set
by keystrokes on the keyboard, without going into the BIOS.
(internal only, external only, both).  On many ThinkPad models,
for example, Fn+F7 toggles through these choices, if an external
monitor is detected during boot.

Turns out you and David Maus was right. Fn+F4 did the trick.
Somehow I had convinced myself that that only worked after
booting. Thanks for the suggestion !!

--
Odd