Recently, CUPS and my Laserjet hate PDF's

After many years of printing bliss using CUPS and a HP LaserJet 4000,
something seems to be wrong when attempting to print PDF's.

I tried 2 days ago to print this:
http://www.nycremsco.org/news.asp?intCategoryID=1&intArticleID=402

The job gets sent to the printer and the LaserJet will sit there forever with
the LCD displaying "PROCESSING JOB". On some attempts to print I might be
able to get the LaserJet to print one or two pages and then "PROCESSING JOB"

I'm able to print HTML web pages via Firefox and sample .ps files, e.g., that
postscript tiger. Googling around reveals that some people had a problem with
something called pdftops, but these messages were from 2007 or 2008.

Any idea on how to fix this? I haven't messed with CUPS's ppd driver files.

I'm using up-to-date unstable, kernel 2.6.32, CUPS version: 1.4.2-8, and the
Laserjet is connected via the router to its NIC