Re: font substitution by acroread

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:08:43 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:41:10PM EST, Tony Nelson wrote:

>> > I was wondering if there was anything more reliable than just
>> > looking.
>>
>> The pdffonts program in poppler-utils?
>
> Hm.. if you read the thread from the beginning, that's what the OP was
> doing from the start. But as Camaleón pointed out, there are fonts that
> are listed by pdffonts, and yet, at least at first glance, there is no
> evidence that they are actually used in the document.

Yes, there is no way to know beforehand that fonts rendered in a PDF
reader have been already susbtituted "on-the-fly". They should be hard-
coded somewhere inside the PDF structure but is not easy to read.

> So what I had in mind was something different: while you are viewing the
> pdf, you would be able to select a part of the document and the pdf
> viewer would tell you all the details relative to the font that was
> specified by the author for rendering the particular portion of the text
> that you selected. Or let you do it the other way around where you could
> search for occurrences of a given font and the pdf viewer would
> highlight the text that matches.

Even with a full-featured PDF editor (such Adobe Acrobat -full version-)
is very difficult to know it because the fonts you get when the document
is loaded within the app can be "altered" and so you lose the source.

Only "embedded" fonts (instead "linked" ones) are guaranteed to remain
the same, despite the user's system and/or available fonts installed.
Linked fonts are kinda lottery :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón