Re: font substitution by acroread

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:41:10PM EST, Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 10-02-10 17:12:54, Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 04:09:22PM EST, Camaleón wrote:
> > > I mean, the only way I see to know what fonts are being used in a
> > > document is by reading the meta information (font properties) from
> > > a PDF reader but that is not indeed definitory as fonts are simply
> > > "listed" (i.e., you cannot know that one paragraph uses Times News
> > > Roman and the next paragraph changes to Garamond).
> >
> > I was wondering if there was anything more reliable than just
> > looking.
>
> The pdffonts program in poppler-utils?

Hm.. if you read the thread from the beginning, that's what the OP was
doing from the start. But as Camaleón pointed out, there are fonts that
are listed by pdffonts, and yet, at least at first glance, there is no
evidence that they are actually used in the document.

So what I had in mind was something different: while you are viewing the
pdf, you would be able to select a part of the document and the pdf
viewer would tell you all the details relative to the font that was
specified by the author for rendering the particular portion of the text
that you selected. Or let you do it the other way around where you could
search for occurrences of a given font and the pdf viewer would
highlight the text that matches.

CJ