Re: how to find bad blocks

On 10-02-09 12:44:02, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> Besides the badblocks app?
>
> We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are
> no bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.
>
> we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> e.g. bad blocks on it..:\ :D
>
> thank you!

This is probably a job for S.M.A.R.T., try `smartctl -a /dev/whatever`
and look at 196 Reallocated_Event_Count, 197 Current_Pending_Sector,
and 198 Offline_Uncorrectable raw values, and any "WHEN_FAILED" or
logged errors.  If all is OK, then look to your system logs for I/O
errors.

TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>