Re: What does "Stale NFS file handle" mean?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:36:39AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> > > ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> > > ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> > > Anyone can help me with this?
> >
> > I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation.  (At
> > least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)
> >
> > Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve
> > this.
> >
> > Alas, I see many
> >
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/
> >
> > http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

> > But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of
> > .xsession-errors and .Xauthority.
> >
> > Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"
> >
> > Osamu
> >

> > > Thanks very much.
> > > Michael.
> >

> Yes, I did search on google. What is different in my case from those is that
> I have no NFS mounting on my system. It happens on my $HOME, which is a
> separate partition ext2 system.
>
> When I list these two files, it outputs:
> $ ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority
> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
>
> I don't have NFS service open on my system. I do have samba, ssh server
> open.
>
> If the files are modified from any remote malicious user (by any chance,
> although low possibility), how to fix this two files by any mounting
> options? (like edit in /etc/fstab for /home entry).

I presume you have tried rebooting.

you can use mount to show the mounted fs and have a look at /etc/mtab as
well

I could not locate any abnormals from the output. It looks good to me.

$ mount
/dev/sda7 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /mnt/wind type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/wine type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda8 on /home type ext2 (rw)

$ less /etc/mtab
/dev/sda7 / ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
/dev/sda5 /mnt/wind fuseblk rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/wine fuseblk rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sda8 /home ext2 rw 0 0

--
Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting
for a dial tone.