Re: What does "Stale NFS file handle" mean?

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> Anyone can help me with this?

I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation.  (At
least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)

Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve
this.

Alas, I see many
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of
.xsession-errors and .Xauthority.

Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"

Osamu

> Thanks very much.
> Michael.

Yes, I did search on google. What is different in my case from those is that I have no NFS mounting on my system. It happens on my $HOME, which is a separate partition ext2 system.

When I list these two files, it outputs:
$ ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority
ls: cannot access /home/michael/.xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
ls: cannot access /home/michael/.Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle

I don't have NFS service open on my system. I do have samba, ssh server open.

If the files are modified from any remote malicious user (by any chance, although low possibility), how to fix this two files by any mounting options? (like edit in /etc/fstab for /home entry).

Thanks very much.