Re: apt-pinning: how to avoid installing of all-new packages?

Adrian Zaugg wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:09:30 -0800

> PS: If you see the error:
>
> relocation error: /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3: symbol krb5_hmac, version
> k5crypto_3_MIT not defined in file libk5crypto.so.3 with link time reference
>
> you were hit by the above mentioned bug. To solve, do the following:
>
>         apt-get remove --purge libk5crypto3
>
> (You may need to purge others for hygienic reasons.) Then
>
>         apt-get install --reinstall libkrb53

Thank you so much for mentioning this fix. I run (ran) a mixed
Lenny/Squeeze system and after the recent updates something installed
libk5crypto3 and made it so that apache2 would not start. This was on my
webserver, so that was obviously not good. Your message is (right now)
the only thing online that explains a fix. Thanks again.

(I don't know how to prevent libk5crypto3 from being installed again,
but I just set all my sources to Lenny and commented out the Squeeze
sources entirely for the time being, so that should work.)

Additionally, this same problem causes sshd not to work and to give this
deceptive error every time you try to login:

Others who have that error have a hosts.deny problem, or need to
increase the MaxStartups, but none of this fixes the libk5crypto3 issue
that is actually the cause of sshd failing as well.

Brian