Re: which debian i should install?

John Jason Jordan put forth on 2/6/2010 1:39 PM:

> This is a Debian list, so I know someone is going to jump on me for
> saying this, but if you are brand new to Linux Debian may not be the
> best distribution for you to start with.

I didn't thoroughly read the entire thread.  I just wanted to say that depending
on the OP's goals, Debian might be the perfect distro to cut teeth on.

Long ago I told a colleague I wanted to start using Linux and actually _learn_
something in the process.  He told me to download the net install floppies for
Potato, and perform a compact install.  That was 10 years ago, and I've learned
a lot over the past decade.  I'm still learning new things, and I hope this
trend will continue for some time. ;)

Starting from a compact text console install forces an OP to learn a lot of
things they'd never learn starting with a GUI workstation.  I'm so glad Casey
made this recommendation.

--
Stan