Re: don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! what's wrong with LILO ?

Jon Dowland <jmtd <at> debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:42:57PM +0200, Aioanei Rares
> wrote:
> > A more practical approach : what should the average user
> > do in order to get his/her Debian back after this GRUB
> > bug?
>
> Stick to stable in future, that's what.

This happened to me with someone's machine.  I don't quite recall how I did it,
but I booted into the command line, then did apt-get remove grub, apt-get
install lilo, and everything was just find afterwards.  Lilo is a bit ugly, but
it works fine.

Now, how did I manage to get to the command line?  There is a live CD available,
grub restore or something similar.  Think this was it.  It was not able to
restore grub to functioning but one of the options in there someplace is to boot
an existing system.  I think that was what got me to the command line on the
system that grub had blown up on.

Once you can boot from it, you can fix it by taking out grub and putting in lilo.