Re: don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! what's wrong with LILO ?

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:24:58AM -0800, Brian Denheyer wrote:
> Is there any good reason for a system to use grub instead of lilo ?

Yes.

Lilo loads kernel by its sector address on harddisk.  So if you update
its image while with the same file name, you need to update pointer data
for lilo.

Grub cab understand ext2 FS and identify and load updated kernel without
extra work.

> Grub appears to me to be a annoying, complicated, and hard to
> understand, and those are it's good points :-(

I understand...  Grub using confusing artitin name (grub and grub2 use different
naming convention) is more than annoying to me.  But lefe goes on wile
we get used to it.

> I never had a problem with LILO, but for some reason Deb decided to
> make grub the default.

I do not know ....

Osamu