Printer install question

I have a Canon PIXMA MP620 multifunction printer which I'm trying
to set up to use with Debian Lenny. I found instructions posted
by users and have downloaded the Canon Linux driver and ppd files
from one of Canon's overseas sites (they don't support Linux in
the US). I had installed the packages, then discovered that there
was an instruction manual for this at Canon's Australia site.

The instructions by the user said to install the drivers using
dpkg -i and then connect the printer by USB cable. Canon's Aussie
manual says to connect the printer by USB, then turn on the
printer, install the drivers, then restart cups.

Both instructions require that I install the common Canon driver
first, then install the model-specific driver.

I've already installed the drivers. Should I follow the user's
advice and connect the printer now to finish setting up the
printer or should I uninstall the drivers, connect the printer
and reinstall the drivers with the printer connected, then
restart cups? Does it matter whether I do one or the other?