Re: Pango: Iceweasel vs. Chrome

On 2010-02-03, Girish Kulkarni <girish@hri.res.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to go ahead and try Google Chrome (4.0.249.43) on my laptop,
> which runs Lenny.  My usual browser is Iceweasel (3.0.6).
>
> A pleasant surprise in Chrome was a much better rendering of the
> Devanagari script:
>
>     http://athene.org.in/girish/pango.html
>
> Iceweasel leaves gaps in ligatures and places letters unevenly so that
> text in Hindi or Marathi, for instance, looks ugly.  Both browsers use
> Pango to render Indic scripts.  (Same font is used in the above
> example.)  Could someone please explain why the difference then?
>
> Remarkably, the Iceweasel version that came with Etch used to render
> Devanagari well.  Exactly like Chrome here.  Since Iceweasel is my
> preferred browser otherwise, I wonder if there's something I can do to
> improve Devanagari rendering in it?
>
> Thanks,
> Girish.

I come from the other direction: I prefer font rendering in Iceweasel
compared to Chrome. When I investigated the difference I came across this
bug report

Basically the difference is that Chrome repects the XSETTINGS
configuration but not the detailed fontconfig settings. If you are
running both browsers in a GNOME session then Chrome will use XSETTINGS.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom