Re: auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Frank McCormick wrote, on 03/02/10 10:01:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:42:40 +1030
Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:

The bottom line: There is no problem even if flashdrives/cameras
etc are in fstab but not present- you simply get the error logged
Well, there is a definite problem in my case (Debian unstable on
i386).

Error code 1 on fsck gets an error logged, but doesn't stop the
boot process.

Upgrading dosfstools past 3.0.1 caused an error code greater than
1, which triggers the stop of the boot process.

I don't understand why initscripts tries to fsck a non-existent
device.

Maybe I should file a bug against initscripts.

I had initially filed a bug against dosfstools but had no response:

  Very strange -
This is my fstab#
/etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
proc           /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/hda2      /               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda1      none            swap    sw                0       0
/dev/hda5      none            swap    sw                0       0
/dev/hdc       /media/dvd      udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto,unhide     0       0
/dev/hdd       /media/dvd-rom   udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto,unhide     0       0
#/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda3      /media/intrepid auto    rw,user,auto      0       0
/dev/sda1      /media/FlashDrive  vfat  rw,user,auto     0       0
/dev/sdb1      /media/camera   vfat  rw,user,auto        0       0

 I'm running testing with dosfstools 3.0.7-1

 sda1 is usually plugged in...but the camera usually is not.
- -- Frank

This is the /etc/fstab entry I had to comment out:

UUID=4823-93A9 /mnt/usb8gig vfat defaults,users,uid=65534,gid=65534,umask=000,shortname=win95 0 2

(all on one line)

Arthur.