Re: losing xmodmap settings during X startup

On 02 Feb 2010, Joey Morris wrote:

> > Did you try running the xmodmap -e e stuff at the command line in an
> > xterm? That might give you a clearer idea of what is wrong.
>
> Yes, I've done that. In fact, since this problem started, the first
> thing I do after restarting X is to run the following in an xterm to
> get the modifiers set up the way I want them:
>
> $ xmodmap -e "clear Lock"
> $ xmodmap -e "add Control = Control_L"
>
> I get no errors or warnings, and everything works fine afterwards. I
> skip the "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" step because it isn't
> necessary (it's the one part of my .Xmodmap that sticks around), but I
> did verify that it worked during my original troubleshooting.

I'm pretty much out of ideas, I'm afraid. I have found that the order in
which things are placed in .xinitrc can make a difference, you might try
variations there. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to
put the above commands in a script (and perhaps call it from .xinitrc).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks