Re: Grub boot loader?

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:46:36PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply .
> - Yes , my computer boots to a login prompt .

Good. Then DON"T mess with grub-install.

> - When I press the 'e' key , nothing happens and after the timer expiry the
> boot process will begin automatically . So I don't have chance to edit my
> boot kernel .
> - I don't see the grub menu . I just see the Debian logo and a timer that
> counts down automatically .

Ahhh, that might be the reason. You running splashy?

> - I want to be able to edit the menu say putting it into single user mode by
> adding 'single' at the end of the line , etc.

I presume you want to make this change permanent. The only way to do
that is by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and running update-grub.

You did run 'update-grub', didn't you?

Editing the menu by pressing the 'e' key does not write any thing to
menu.lst - it only allows you to change 'things' for that one boot. The
changes are lost after that.

But if you can't see the menu when you boot, how can you select "single
user" mode anyway?  <scratches head.>

But you should already have a single user mode if you ran update-grub.

What is output of:

grep -v '^#' /boot/grub/menu.lst

--
Chris.