Re: Please help me understand APT pinning...

In <[🔎] 4B60A4DC.2030405@mgoetze.net>, Michael Goetze wrote:
>I've struggled with this issue for hours and gotten no help from
>Manpages, nor IRC. So if someone could help me and CC me on their reply
>(as I am not subscribed), I would be very grateful.
>
>=== Begin /etc/apt/preferences ===
[...]
>Package: *
>Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
>Pin-Priority: 400
>
>Package: *
>Pin: origin deb.opera.com
>Pin-Priority: 300
>=== End /etc/apt/preferences ===
>=== Begin output of apt-cache policy ===
>Package files:
[...]
>  990 http://mirror.netcologne.de squeeze/main Packages
>      release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
>Packages,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
>      origin mirror.netcologne.de
>  990 http://deb.opera.com squeeze/non-free Packages
>      release o=Opera Software ASA,a=testing,n=squeeze,l=The Opera web
>browser,c=non-free
>      origin deb.opera.com
[...]
>=== End output of apt-cache policy ===
>
>As you can see, I failed miserably. The very same method that works fine
>for the grml packages, fails for the debian-multimedia packages. I have
>also tried "l=" instead of "o=", as well as copy&pasting the complete
>release line from the output of apt-cache policy. I have tried using
>double quote characters. I have tried changing the order of grml and
>debian-multimedia in the preferences file. I have run aptitude update or
>apt-get update after every change. Nothing works.

>For Opera, I have not invested quite as much effort, especially since I
>specifically want the "origin" feature, not the "release" feature, to
>work here; however, "release o=Opera Software ASA" also does not work,
>nor does adding double-quotes around "deb.opera.com".

I think in both these cases you are being bit by having APT::Default-Release
"testing" in /etc/apt/apt.conf(.d).  The relevant quote from man 5
apt_preferences is "The target release can be set on the apt-get command line
or in the APT configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf. Note that this has
precedence over any general priority you set in the /etc/apt/preferences file
described later, but not over specifically pinned packages."

Both the repositories you are having problems with use "a=testing" as part of
their release.