RE: Authentication Mechanism Setup‏

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:21:29 -0500 (EST), Norman Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:22:46 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:12:13 -0500, Norman Armstrong wrote:
>>> Since I installed Lenny on my laptop I
>>> have been experiencing a small difficulty.
>>>
>>> When I open a root
>>> terminal (or other tasks which require root privilege) the system
>>> grants me permission without requiring a password. It does display a
>>> pop-up Granted permissions without asking for password. I
>>> would like to turn this off, but cannot find out how to do this.
>>>
>>> Please point me to the information
>>> which will allow me to fix this situation.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Norm
>>
>> I assume that you are using the default GNOME desktop.
>> The way it's *supposed* to work is that the FIRST TIME
>> you open a root terminal since starting the GNOME desktop
>> it will prompt you for the administrative password.  On
>> the pop-up window where you are prompted for the administrative
>> password is a check box labeled "Remember password".
>> By default, the box is checked.  If you uncheck the box,
>> it will prompt you for the administrative password every time
>> you open a root terminal.  This is the safest procedure.
>> But if you leave the box checked, it will only prompt the
>> first time.  Subsequent openings of "root terminal" will be
>> granted access without supplying a password.  If you logout
>> of the GNOME desktop and then login again, it will prompt
>> for the administrative password again.  Just make sure
>> that you uncheck the box marked "Remember password" and it
>> will prompt you every time.
>
> OK, the password issue is solved.  Now I open a root terminal
> and it asks for the password, I enter it
> and the root terminal terminates.  Never a dull moment in Linux.
> However, I can just su in a regular terminal so no big deal.
> And it asks for the root password elsewhere.  So Thanks a lot.
>
> Thank you,
> Norm

You're obviously new around here, so let me clue you in on how
things are done around here.

Rule number 1: always reply, as
well as post, to the list: never to an individual.  The only time
you should send an e-mail to an individual is if you feel compelled
to say something that you wouldn't want seen in public.  But be
careful about that.  You're asking for free help; so "flaming"
somebody is counter-productive to your goals.  If you are not
subscribed to the list and want a reply sent to your personal
e-mail as well as the list, explicitly request that in your post.
Otherwise, we will post only to the list and if you neglect to
check back on the list, you will never see our replies.  I will
CC you this time, but after that I won't unless you request it
on each post.

Rule number 2: do not "top post".  Instead, use the usenet style
of quoting.  For more information on that see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

I spent a fair amount of time re-formatting this message in
usenet style.  Don't make us do that.

Rule number 3: Keep lines of ordinary text prose to under 80
characters long.  Actually, it's better to keep it somewhat
shorter so that the "greater than" signs used for quoting and
nested quoting won't later extend those lines past 80 columns.

Rule number 4: use plain text only, not HTML.

Rule number 5: always say "Thank you" when someone helps you.
You got that part right.  And if it weren't for that I might have
ingored your subsequent post.

For additional rules, see the Debian Mailing list policy:

OK, now that we have these logistical issues down (I hope) we
can get on to the problem.

> OK, the password issue is solved.
> Thank you,
> Norm

You're welcome.

> Now I open a root terminal
> and it asks for the password, I enter it
> and the root terminal terminates.

Hmm.  I've never seen this before.  Forgive me for asking a dumb
question, but you didn't click on the "Cancel" button instead of
the "OK" button, did you?  That's exactly the behavior I would
expect to see if you clicked on the "Cancel" button.  It works
fine for me if I simply hit the Enter key after typing the password
or if I click on the OK button.  I wouldn't ask this question,
except that you have already shown a propensity for not paying
too much attention to what is on the screen (like the check box
for "Remember password").  :-)