Re: Can only get Nvidia driver to work with 2.6.26

On Fri January 29 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Slow for what purposes?  3D graphics?  Real-time animated games?
> I don't do either of those things.  I mainly use X for web browsing.
> I also sometimes play a simple 2D game like Solitaire.
> Is the proprietary Nvidia driver really going to make a dramatic
> improvement for things like that?

I have seen where it takes longer just to load my desktop with the nv driver.
To be honest, I haven't used the nv driver, except when nvidia failed, and I
had to load nv, until I could get nvidia working.

google nv vs nvidia.. here is one example:

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/nv
3D Acceleration Status

At present the nv driver has no 3D acceleration. Nvidia will not provide the
hardware specifications needed to add 3D support. However, some reverse
engineering has been done for the Riva, TNT, and Geforce hardware. The
UtahGLX project has basic 3D acceleration support. Help is needed to port
this to DRI. For details see the DRI Nvidia Page. A Freedesktop.org project
called nouveau has been started to work on 3D support. See the project's
Feature Matrix for current development status. For additional info on 3D
acceleration support in general, see the free3d.org wiki.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800