Re: Cron does not run.

On Friday 29 January 2010 11:31:00 Javier Barroso wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I do understand, the report of the run jobs should be put to
> > /var/spool/cron or in /var/spool/cron/crontabs dir. (?), but it is empty.
>
> Maybe cron wants to tell you something with a email, did you check
> /var/mail/mail ?

Actually, yes.  I missed this part in the original email.  If a cronjob
generates any output it will (normally) be mailed to the owner of the crontab.
For jobs under /etc/cron.daily, this is root.

Assuming you've made no changes to you mail system from a stock Debian install
root's mail will be in /var/mail/root in mbox format.  I usually modify
/etc/aliases to include something like "root: $my_user" and configure exim to
deliver to ~$user/Maildir.  If I'm comfortable enough with the system to allow
it to send email to remote SMTP servers, I'll add a ~$my_user/.forward file
that points to my primary email address.