Re: Can only get Nvidia driver to work with 2.6.26

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:09:42AM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I've been following the threads of people frustrated with getting
> nvidia drivers to work, and have experienced much of that frustration
> myself over the last few days.  I've tried everything to get my nvidia
> working with the 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 kernels (I'm on a lenovo ThinkPad
> T61p, amd64, testing) with no success, and have reverted to the 2.6.26
> stock kernel, against which I successfully compiled, installed, and am
> now using the 190.53 nvidia driver, which I installed using the nvidia
> installer.  That's the only way which has ever worked for me.  I post
> this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
> the same frustration.  (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
> video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

very strange, my normal process for adding nvidia (built a laptop at the
end of last year)

install module assist via aptitude, install nvidia-kernel-source the
latest version with aptitude.

then

m-a prepare
m-a -t build nvidia

then I can install that deb file and the corresponding nvidia glx files.

It hasn't failed me in a while, last time was the jump to 2.6.26 Or
2.6.28 when the lastest nvidia bin wouldn't build and we had to use the
legacy packager

Alex

--
"My thoughts are, we're going to get somebody who knows what they're talking about when it comes to rebuilding cities."

	- George W. Bush
09/02/2005
Biloxi, MS
On how the rebuilding of New Orleans might commence