Re: Kernel modification environment

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Praseen Preman
<praseen.preman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>                  I currently have Ubuntu 8.04 LTS-Hardy running on my
> machine. I am learning about linux device drivers and hence I have to
> compile and run the kernel after modifications, also I have to insert my own
> custom built modules. Please suggest how to create an environment that does
> not mess up with existing running setup, when I compile and boot into my
> custom built kernel ...

Once you get a working system back, if necessary by reinstalling as
Stephen suggested, I suggest you look into virtualization software.
Virtual installs are perfect for experimenting and learning without
risk to the 'host' o/s (i.e. actual Linux install running on your
machine).  KVM is included in the Linux kernel and I believe is the
preferred choice for Ubuntu.  VirtualBox is popular and comes with a
nice GUI for novices.