Kernel modification environment

Hi guys,
                 I currently have Ubuntu 8.04 LTS-Hardy running on my machine. I am learning about linux device drivers and hence I have to compile and run the kernel after modifications, also I have to insert my own custom built modules. Please suggest how to create an environment that does not mess up with existing running setup, when I compile and boot into my custom built kernel.The issue here probably is that for all my custom compiled kernels and the currently stable kernel, the filesystem is the same and as a result when the custom kernel boots up, it probably screws up my driver nodes in the /dev directory. I would like to keep the filesystem for the custom compiled kernels seperate from the stable kernel installed from the CD. Please suggest, how to proceed.

Thanks and Regards,
Praseen

PS: I have already lost my current stable installation of the kernel after I booted into my custom compiled kernel :(