Re: Eth0 disconnects from router?

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:50:19 -0500, David Baron wrote:

> Approximately every hour, I get log entries like:
> Jan 28 13:47:59 dovidhalevi pumpd[1819]: failed to renew lease for device eth0
> Sometimes, it will stay disconnected (the above reconnected). I need to
> manually ifup eth0. I reinstated a  cron job to check and do this like I had
> when I was running pptp.

It's customary to say
"Thank You" when someone helps you.  Who knows?  It might even be in your
own interests to do so.  It might motivate people to help you again.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, or claim that you don't,
allow me to refresh your memory.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:14:28 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:05:27 -0500, David Baron wrote:
> > Using pptp, I had a cron job to reconnect if
> > need be which ran periodically. How do I do this with the router short of
> > manually running netcardconfig?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking, since an Ethernet connection to a
> router is "permanently on".  If you're having trouble with the
> interface, you can take it down and bring it back up again with
> something like
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0

Your new post indicates that you now know to use ifup.

You're welcome.

As for your new problem, it looks like your DHCP server is set up to
hand out 1 hour leases.  If the DHCP server is built in to the router,
as is often the case, that comes down to reconfiguring your router.
You want a fairly long lease time.  You also want a fair amount of
time between when a lease is released (or when connectivity is lost)
and when that IP address is made available for reuse.