Re: webcam in skype ok but not in gimp

Adam Hardy wrote:
> godo on 28/01/10 13:14, wrote:
>> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> I got myself a webcam to skype, and plugged it in the usb port and it
>>> works fine with skype, but i want to grab an image from it in gimp or
>>> with w3cam or vidcat and it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> in gimp, i don't even think i'm in the right menu but i can't find
>>> any other menu option than "file / acquire / xsane / device dialog"
>>> which gives me the error "failed to open device v4l:/dev/video0:
>>> invalid argument"
>>>
>>> I can understand that since gimp is probably looking for a scanner
>>> but I see other documentation on the net showing gimp with a dialog
>>> box showing a mix of scanners and webcams.
>>>
>>> In skype, the config shows the webcam under devices as "UVC camera
>>> (046d:09a4) (/dev/video0)" so I'm at a loss now.
>>>
>>> I tried v4l-conf but that just seems to be for settings on the camera
>>> itself, not the OS config.
>>
>> did you try Cheese? I my opinion it is very good app. You can record
>> movie with sound or take a photo from your web camera.
>
> It would be quite amusing to set the Warp effect while skyping with people.
>
> Yes, so OK, cheese is good - but I can't see how it's configured -
> presumably though it's not using v4l. I would of course (being anal)
> like to sort out the issue with gimp though.
>

> Adam

Hi, I have a very well supported uvc webcam working with every program I
throw at it, but never got it to work with Gimp/Xsane since Gimp2.2, it
could be related to the v4l > v4l2 shift (wild guess). Does the webcam
work with Xsane ?

You can use Guvcview to control the webcam output when "Skypping" (works
with most "uvc" webcams, and a lot of "spca/gspca" ones), launch
guvcview from a console with

guvcview --control_only

while using Skype.
The version in Debian is a bit old, you can grab a newer one from the
website: http://guvcview.berlios.de/

Not many effects available, but it's better than nothing.