Monitor goes to sleep on X startup following upgrade in sid

Howdy

I just rebooted my sid box for the first time in about a week to find
that my monitor goes into sleep mode following X startup.
Ctl-Alt-F1-F6 wakes it up and lets me log into a console.  Ctl-Alt-F7
puts it back to sleep.

There are some segfaults in the X log related to input drivers, but
nothing that looks like it would cause this problem.  I can't copy and
paste easily because I'm on a different computer.

I've got a motherboard with an integrated i915 video chipset that uses
the intel X driver.  The driver is being properly loaded by X
according to the logs.

I've tried switching out GDM for KDM to make sure that's not the problem.

I use apt-listbugs and only upgrade once a week or so.  I skimmed the
list of RC bugs and didn't see anything like this.  I searched the
debian forum, looked at several recent mailing list archives  and
asked on irc.  Anyone here got any ideas?